Bringing a baby into the world is one of the most rewarding and unforgettable joys a woman can experience. The accompanying physical changes resulting from pregnancy, birth, and nursing however can leave a mom feeling less than satisfied as she loses confidence with the way her body looks. By definition, a “Mommy Makeover” is a term referring to a combination of surgical procedures performed at the same time to reshape and tighten a mother’s body, reversing the physical changes brought about by pregnancy and childbirth. At Shine Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. Daniel H. Lin performs a mommy makeover to restore or improve, a mother’s post-pregnancy body because he understands how hard it is for new moms to lose all the weight they gained during pregnancy.
After having their baby, some new moms feel that they still look pregnant in the abdominal area because the weakened muscles and the excess abdominal fat appear as “fullness”. This can cause serious psychological issues and although eventually many new moms may get rid of the excess weight, the loss is often not proportional to the amount of fatty tissue in a given area. All or some of the changes that occur after having a baby can make a mom feel unattractive and fortunately, a mommy makeover can address these issues and give a new mom back a body she can be proud of.
A mommy makeover, or restoration, may include a number of cosmetic procedures including:
- Breast Augmentation: Breast size generally fluctuates throughout the process of pregnancy and breastfeeding. These changes compromise the skin’s elasticity and this causes the breasts to sag. Once a mother no longer needs to store breast milk, it is common for the breasts to lose volume and they can actually become smaller than their pre-pregnancy size. Breast augmentation surgery will create an attractive contour to the breasts and restore volume while correcting severely deflated breasts. Some new moms benefit from breast implants to counter the droopiness that occurs as a result of stretched-out skin. Breast augmentation is a popular choice because it can enhance any woman’s femininity and restore confidence.
- Breast Lift: The shape and the size of the breasts adjust to a mom’s body throughout and after pregnancy and childbirth. Pregnancy usually causes the breasts to increase or decrease in at least one cup size and once a mom finishes breastfeeding, her breasts tend to deflate and sag. Your breasts normally make you feel attractive but their appearance can be negatively affected by pregnancy and nursing. Dr. Lin appreciates the connection between a woman’s body image and her self-esteem and he offers breast lift surgery for moms (and any women) who wish to restore their attractive, youthful breast shape.
- Breast Reduction: Many new mothers are concerned that breastfeeding will ruin their youthful breasts but breastfeeding is not the only reason breasts change after childbirth. Pregnancy always affects the breasts because as the breasts prepare for milk production, the milk glands swell replacing the natural fatty breast composition. After pregnancy and lactation, this expanded system of ducts change and as a result increased elasticity, increased softness, and increased sagginess occurs. Some women gain volume during this process and a breast reduction is required to achieve pre-pregnancy size.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): The most drastic visible changes during pregnancy take place around the abdomen. The bulged abdominal area weakens and separates the abdominal muscles, stretching the skin and this stretching can cause ruptures in skin collagen resulting in stretch marks. After pregnancy and childbirth, in the abdominal area many women need a full abdominoplasty, or a tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck involves tightening the muscle layer as well as removing excess skin and fat while some new moms only need a mini-abdominoplasty with limited skin tightening. A firm, flat abdomen is considered a testament to a person’s fitness and when new moms have loose skin, excess fat, and stretch marks, a tummy tuck is a procedure designed to restore a fit look and a healthy vitality. Many of the patients Dr. Lin sees for tummy tucks are women seeking help after the impact of pregnancy.
- Liposuction: In most cases, liposuction is part of the mommy makeover because it helps to re-sculpt and smooth out the contours in the arms, thighs, legs, hips, and lower back. After having a child, most woman can benefit from cosmetic procedures to correct a double chin, a tummy bulge, saddlebags on your thighs, or other trouble spots that liposuction can correct. Dr. Lin combines his extensive experience and skill to help new moms look fit and firm and liposuction permanently removes unwanted fat deposits that can remain in spite of a healthy lifestyle that includes diet and exercise. Liposuction is not designed to be a weight loss method but it will improve your appearance in many ways.
The combination of procedures you and Dr. Lin choose for your mommy makeover depends on your overall expectations and the unique impact childbearing has had on your particular body. The length of the surgery varies based on the amount and type of procedures Dr. Lin performs and your mommy makeover can be one or two separate operations, again depending on the procedures chosen. During your consultation, Dr. Lin will listen to all of your concerns before recommending a plan that best suits your needs so please call Shine Cosmetic Surgery today and let us schedule your “Mommy Makeover” consultation.