Conveniently located to serve the areas of West Covina, CA
An IPL photofacial (also called photorejuvenation) is a cosmetic dermatology procedure that treats several different skin conditions using a broad spectrum of intense pulsed light (IPL). This non-invasive process uses light energy to remove skin imperfections and stimulate deep tissue. Photofacials effectively reduce the appearance of sun damage, age spots, rosacea, large pores, hyperpigmentation, and more. Patients who want to see clearer, more youthful, and evenly-toned skin often opt for a series of IPL Photofacials.
Shine Cosmetic Surgery is proud to offer IPL treatments because they are incredibly safe and effective. The intense pulse light of a Photofacial is non-invasive and requires no downtime. Our expert technician will administer precise doses of light energy during your IPL treatment to meet your specific aesthetic needs. If you’re ready to experience smoother, healthier, more vibrant skin, call (626) 810-6165 today to schedule your IPL Photofacial consultation at Shine Cosmetic Surgery in West Covina, CA!
Learn more about the procedures Dr. Lin offers his patients at Shine Cosmetic Surgery by following his blog.
- 1 The Sun and Your Skin
- 2 What is IPL Laser Light?
- 3 The Benefits of Intense Pulsed Light for the Skin
- 4 Ideal Candidates for IPL Treatment
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparation
- 7 The IPL Photofacial Procedure
- 8 Recovery After an IPL Photofacial
- 9 What are the Results of Photofacial?
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 What is the Cost of Photofacial in West Covina, CA?
- 12 References
The Sun and Your Skin
Ultraviolet rays from the sun damage your skin. An IPL Photofacial can reverse the appearance of these signs of damage on your:
- Backs of Your Hands
These areas often receive the most significant amount of harmful UVA and UVB rays because they are most frequently exposed, and people often forget to apply sunscreen daily.
UVA vs. UVB
You’ve probably heard of UVA and UVB before, but do you know the difference?
- UVA rays make up 95% of the UV radiation that reaches the earth’s surface. They are present during all daylight hours, even on cloudy days, and can penetrate through glass.
- UVB rays make up 5% of the UV radiation that reaches the earth’s surface; they are the leading cause of sunburns and are most potent during peak daylight hours (10 am-4 pm).
UV damage can lead to premature aging, but fortunately, if your sun-damaged skin bothers you, IPL treatments may be a solution.
What is IPL Laser Light?
IPL is a type of broadband light that delivers energy in multiple wavelengths. The light waves in an IPL treatment are shorter than those used in traditional lasers, and this shorter wavelength means the light can be scattered more evenly over a larger area. This makes IPL ideal for treating large skin areas or simultaneously targeting multiple regions. During treatment, light is converted to heat, selectively destroying damaged cells while leaving the surrounding tissue unharmed.
Did You Know?
Intense pulsed light was launched commercially as a medical device, initially to treat vascular lesions, in 1994. Since then, the device has become safe and effective for all skin types. 
The Benefits of Intense Pulsed Light for the Skin
IPL Photofacial treatments can selectively target many skin problems, including:
- Age spots
- Sun damaged skin (photoaging)
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Dilated blood vessels
- Broken capillaries (telangiectasia)
- Thin or crêpey skin
- Spider Veins
- Enlarged pores
- Acne scars
- Dark circles around the eyes
The IPL procedure is safe and highly effective. If you have sun- or otherwise-damaged skin, we encourage you to contact Shine Cosmetic Surgery.
Ideal Candidates for IPL Treatment
Almost anyone can benefit from IPL treatments, including patients with mid-brown/olive to very dark skin (Fitzpatrick skin types IV-VI), as long as the proper precautions are taken.  Avoiding further skin damage is one of the main reasons you should choose a board-certified surgeon with the appropriate training and experience.
As with any cosmetic procedure, you should have realistic expectations of what IPL can achieve for you. IPL is not a replacement for a facelift or other types of surgery, but we can use it in conjunction with these procedures to improve results.
During your consultation, we will examine your skin and talk to you about your medical history and goals for treatment. We will also explain the IPL procedure in detail, answer any questions you may have, and develop a customized treatment plan that is right for you. If your goals for treatment might better be achieved with another type of procedure, we will let you know and recommend an alternative. If you have a history of cold sores, your risk of developing them after treatment will increase.  We will advise you to take an antiviral before and after IPL Treatment as a preventive measure. If you have an active outbreak or other skin lesions, please wait until your skin has cleared up before treatment.
Bring any questions to your consultation or any other concerns you would like to discuss. The staff at Shine Cosmetic Surgery looks forward to the opportunity to work with you, so please call today and let us help you rediscover radiant, beautiful skin!
To prepare for treatment, it is essential you:
- Avoid sun exposure, including tanning beds, for at least four weeks before treatment; this will ensure that the IPL treatments are as effective as possible.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to protect your skin from further damage.
- Avoid any other type of skin treatment, including facials, peels, and waxing, for at least two weeks before your IPL treatment. These procedures can irritate the skin and make it more difficult for the IPL device to target the damaged cells.
Following these steps will help ensure that you get the best possible results from your IPL treatment.
The IPL Photofacial Procedure
IPL treatments are typically performed in three to six sessions, spaced four to six weeks apart. Each session takes between 15-30 minutes.
Before your treatment, we will fit you with eye protection. Then, we will apply a coupling gel to help the device move smoothly over your skin, much like the gel of an abdominal sonogram.
We will direct the device over your skin, delivering light pulses. You will notice a flashing light, audible tone, and experience a feeling similar to that of a rubber band snapping lightly on your skin.
As the skin absorbs the light from the IPL device, the tissue temperature rises, causing damage to the appropriate cells. The body’s natural healing process then kicks in to repair the damage and stimulate collagen and elastin production. 
Recovery After an IPL Photofacial
Post-operative discomfort is almost nonexistent after your procedure. You will most likely experience a mild sunburn-like sensation, which typically subsides within 24 hours. If you do experience any discomfort, we recommend the following:
- Applying a cold compress to the treated area.
- Taking a cool bath or shower.
- Wearing loose, comfortable clothing.
- Using broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Avoiding sun exposure.
Dr. Lin’s staff will give you a complete outline of the recovery steps that will help you get the best results from your IPL treatment.
What are the Results of Photofacial?
You will begin to see results after your first Photofacial session, with optimal results usually achieved after three to six sessions. The results of IPL Photofacial are long-lasting, but you must remember that the aging process continues, and you will need to take steps to protect your skin from further damage. Internal and external factors can continue to cause your skin to become dull and uneven, so remember to keep it well-hydrated and moisturized.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Other treatments at Shine Cosmetic Surgery can augment your results. They can be used in conjunction with IPL Photofacial to achieve optimal results include:
- Liquid Face Lift – Boost your facial contours with strategically-placed fillers.
- Juvederm – Get hyaluronic acid-based Juvederm treatments that can accentuate your lips, plump your cheeks, and smooth wrinkles and lines.
- Botox – Erase wrinkles and achieve a youthful appearance with Botox Cosmetic.
- Skin Care – Shop our premium selection of medical-grade skin care products to ensure you keep the radiant results of your Photofacial!
Whether you’re interested in a single treatment or multiple procedures, Dr. Lin will take the time to understand your unique goals and help you achieve results that will take your breath away. So schedule your consultation today if you are interested in learning more about IPL Photofacial or our other procedures.
What is the Cost of Photofacial in West Covina, CA?
The cost of your IPL Photofacial will depend on the number of treatments required to achieve optimal results. During your consultation, Dr. Lin will develop a personalized treatment plan and provide you with the exact cost of your procedure. Call our West Covina office at (626) 810-6165 to arrange your appointment.
- Babilas P, Schreml S, Szeimies RM, Landthaler M. Intense pulsed light (IPL): A review. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. 2010;42(2):93-104. doi:10.1002/lsm.20877
- Alexis AF. Lasers and light-based therapies in ethnic skin: treatment options and recommendations for Fitzpatrick skin types V and VI. The British Journal of Dermatology. 2013;169 Suppl 3:91-97. doi:10.1111/bjd.12526
- Faucz LL, Will SE, Rodrigues CJ, Hesse H, Moraes AC, Maria DA. Quantitative evaluation of collagen and elastic fibers after intense pulsed light treatment of mouse skin. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. 2018;50(6):644-650. doi:10.1002/lsm.22782