Botox is an injectable that reduces the appearance of facial wrinkles. It blocks nerve signals responsible for stimulating muscle contractions, leaving your face looking smoother and more youthful. Dynamic wrinkles occur when expressing emotion–fear, joy, surprise, anger, or sadness. And just as quickly as they appear with expression, they disappear when the face returns to a neutral state. With time, dynamic wrinkles may become permanent, but Botox can help!
The reality of aging means wrinkles, folds, fine lines, and sagging are inevitable. And what better way to address aging than with a safe and effective solution approved by the FDA for more than 20 years? (1) Botox can help you to express yourself, without the resulting impact on your appearance.
Dr. Daniel H. Lin and the team at West Covina’s Shine Cosmetic Surgery have helped many patients to achieve effective facial rejuvenation with Botox. If you’re interested in learning more about Botox and if the injectable treatment is right for you, contact us today at our West Covina office today at (626) 810-6165.
For over twenty years, Botox has revolutionized facial rejuvenation. It’s a fast, cost-effective, and minimally-invasive treatment that patients just keep coming back for. Botox is formulated from onabotulinumtoxin A, produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. (1) In small doses, this neuromodulator is a highly effective solution for wrinkle reduction. As it is most effective in reducing dynamic wrinkles, Botox can be used to treat glabellar lines, horizontal forehead lines, smoker’s lines, marionette lines, and bands around the neck.
Dynamic Wrinkles vs. Static Wrinkles
Dynamic wrinkles occur when repeated muscle contractions cause indentations in the skin. They can be seen when we raise our eyebrows, when we frown, and when we smile. Static wrinkles, on the other hand, remain on the face even when expressionless, at rest. (2) They become more pronounced with time. Static wrinkles include lines around the nose and the corners of the mouth. Juvederm, a hyaluronic dermal filler, is an injectable available at Shine Cosmetic Surgery that effectively treats static wrinkles, so feel free to inquire about both treatments!
Some of the benefits of Botox include the following:
- Virtually Pain-Free Procedure – Mild discomfort can be relieved with ice or a topical anesthetic, though this is usually not required. The procedure invoices a short, thin, fine-tipped needle that causes minimal pain.
- Short Procedure – The procedure is minimally invasive and takes only 15 to 20 minutes.
- No Downtime – Most patients experience only mild swelling and redness, and can return back to work right after the procedure. The time is short enough to complete Botox as a lunchtime procedure. As a result, you can return to daily activities immediately afterwards.
- Fast Results – Full effects take shape within three to five days. Some patients also notice an immediate difference post-procedure.
- Helps To Prevent Wrinkles – Why not begin anti-aging treatment before you see the deep, visible effects of dynamic wrinkles? Botox can serve as proactive wrinkle prevention.
Botox is a non-surgical anti-aging treatment which is suitable for most patients. If you seek a minimally-invasive way to rid yourself of dynamic wrinkles, Botox could be the answer! Patients eligible for Botox treatment are in good physical health, have a realistic perspective of results, and are in good overall health. Although Botox is very safe, it isn’t for everyone. Botox injections are not suitable for patients who have a sensitivity to or who are allergic to the ingredients of the formulation. It is also contraindicated in individuals with underlying medical conditions such as neuromuscular disorders, and pregnant or nursing women.
At Shine Cosmetic Surgery, we are specially trained in precision Botox administration. We have helped countless patients achieve excellent results with fewer dynamic wrinkles through Botox treatment. In your consultation, we will discuss the challenges you are currently experiencing with the effects of aging, and how Botox may be able to help. If you are interested in receiving Botox treatment, contact our West Covina office today at (626) 810-6165. Check out our blog to learn more about the science behind our work, and what this means for our patients–and bettering their lives!
There are very few things you will need to do before your Botox session. To prepare for your procedure, we advise following preparation guidelines closely to ensure an effective treatment.
- Avoid alcohol one day before treatment.
- Avoid caffeine one day before treatment.
- Don’t wax, tweeze or use depilatory creams near treated areas one to two days before treatment.
- Refrain from using any chemical peeling agents such as glycolic acid and AHA (at-home or in-office)
- Avoid using retinoids (tretinoin, Retin-A)
The procedure is relatively short at just 15 to 20 minutes. To begin, the target sites will be cleansed with a mild solution. A numbing agent may be applied topically to reduce discomfort during your procedure. We will then inject the Botox into the targeted wrinkle-producing muscles. To address forehead lines, between one and three injections may be necessary depending on the specific muscle addressed.
This procedure requires no downtime. You can return to your daily activities straight after with only mild swelling and minimal redness. Botox aftercare doesn’t have many guidelines, but it’s important to follow them to get the most out of your treatment.
- Do not apply pressure on the treated region for 12 hours.
- Remain sitting or standing upright for three to four hours after the procedure.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity for 24 hours.
- Don’t wear makeup for a few hours after treatment.
These guidelines will ensure that the solution stays in the treated region only and does not migrate to other parts of the face.
Unlike some other minimally-invasive treatments, you won’t see results immediately. But don’t worry, this is completely normal. Botox works over time to bind to nerves in targeted muscles, and then block signals that tell muscles to contract. Some patients see results after as little as 24-48 hours, though most should expect to see results within three to five days. On average, the results of one treatment last three to four months. We recommend maintaining the smoothing effects of Botox with a follow-up procedure before the initial treatment wears off.
Corresponding & Complementary Treatments
Dermal fillers are a great compliment to a Botox treatment, as they can address other signs of aging in the face for comprehensive facial rejuvenation with only minimally-invasive techniques. Where Botox is mainly used in the upper third of the face to smooth dynamic wrinkles, hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm can address common problems in the lower two-thirds such as prominent nasolabial folds and cheek hollowing. Fillers can also be used to enhance the lips, or plump the cheeks for a fuller, more youthful look.
Patients can get a replenishing Hydrafacial just days after their Botox session! This four-stage skin-refreshing treatment uses vortex technology to remove skin impurities, cleanse deeply, and deliver moisturizing agents deep into the skin. Overcome dry skin, enlarged pores, and oily/acne-prone skin with this great facial treatment!
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a game-changer when it comes to treating sun-damaged skin. An IPL PhotoFacial can help to resolve common problems for residents of sunny Southern California such as brown spots, freckles, and hyperpigmentation. What’s more, it’s incredibly versatile, so much so, that the treatment can also be used to address signs of aging, rosacea, and spider veins in the face. In just 15-30 minutes, your customized treatment will be complete.
Unlike Botox, a brow lift is a permanent surgical solution to signs of aging around the eyes and above. Dr. Lin is an expert in facial cosmetic surgery and can advise the best course of action for your specific needs. He offers the traditional coronal brow lift, or the endoscopic brow lift, which means fewer incisions and shorter downtime. Lift and tighten moderate to severe sagging and smooth out forehead wrinkles with a brow lift at Shine Cosmetic Surgery.
Cost of Botox in West Covina
Interested in finding out more about cosmetic treatments at Shine Cosmetic Surgery? Be sure to read Dr. Lin’s blog.
The cost of Botox treatment will vary from patient to patient. The average cost runs between $300 and $600, depending on a number of factors, including how many vials are used, and the area of the face treated. We will be glad to provide you with an estimate during your consultation, where we will also use the opportunity to evaluate your specific needs and draw up the most beneficial treatment plan. Find the most effective anti-aging treatments for your skin with Shine. Call our West Covina Office to book your personal consultation or complete a form with your request.
- Satriyasa, B.K. Botulinum toxin (Botox) A for reducing the appearance of facial wrinkles: a literature review of clinical use and pharmacological aspect. (2019). Clinical, Cosmetic, Investigational Dermatology. 12: 223-228, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6489637/#:~:text=The%20first%20type%20of%20Botox,and%20Drug%20Administration%20(FDA).
- Small, R. Botulinum toxin injection for facial wrinkles. American Family Physician. (2014). 90(3):168-75, https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2014/0801/p168.html.